Friday, July 19, 2013

Teaching English


Haiti continues to get better and better everyday! Haiti feels like my home away from home and I am already planning my return! There is only so long I can be away from this place.

One of the most satisfying experience in Haiti is teaching English. Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:30-4:30 is the most exciting time for me! I spend close to about a half hour to forty-five minutes preparing for my class. I want to make sure I explain topics in simple and plain English talk very slowly. I even had a student, not in my class, say that he really likes my teaching style! That was a really a confidence booster! They really seem to respond well to that teaching style, especially when some of the concepts are a little complicated.

On Wednesday, I gave my very first quiz, EVER! I can't believe that I am administering a quiz, and teaching an English class. I am still in total shock and awe that I was put in charge of teaching an English class. I never would have thought that I would enjoy something like this! On this particular Wednesday afternoon, it was VERY loud! HAC is undergoing some construction renovations and creating more classroom spaces which is great for the school, but bad for a quick quiz! I walked around the compound trying to find a room that would be quieter and unfortunately, all the rooms were taken! As I was walking back to my classroom, I felt so horrible! I told my class that there were no rooms available for the quiz that would have a quieter space. Instead of the students throwing a fit, they said "It's OK Teacher. We will be OK with the noise." I then realized how dedicated these students are to their studies. Students in the United States won't even take an exam if it is not perfectly quiet! And they all completed the quiz and they all did incredibly well! I didn't have a student under 80%! I am still not sure what this means as far as my teaching, but I hope it is a good sign! Some of the questions were very difficult for them. A few of my students asked about the verb "to water." They didn't understand the concept of water as a noun, turning into a verb. So much of what they question, I never have questioned and now I can see HOW COMPLICATED ENGLISH IS! Words, concepts, and exceptions in English, I took for granted because "they just sound right." It is so difficult to teach English when it is your native language! This class has opened my eyes to English as a language, and all of it's complications.

Today was "Conversation Friday" as I like to call it! We had a great discussion. My students were so interested in my Epidemiology Pediatric Asthma study that I am doing in Haiti (and mostly they were curious as to why they took my "Maladie Las" survey!) I explained asthma to them and they had never really heard of it, nor knew of anyone who had this condition. The conversation turned to Haiti's healthcare system. One of my students told the class and me that "if anyone does get severely hurt or injured and Double Harvest (a local health clinic) cannot help then traveling to Port-au-Prince can be a death sentence. It is too far to travel to a decent hospital for proper medical treatment. This was so incredibly sad to hear. I firmly believe that health is a right. Not having access to medical attention in a potentially serious situation is a very significant problem that should be dealt with and dealt with fast. They also said, it has everything to do with money. If you don't have any money, you don't receive medical attention. I can't imagine living in a country, where immediate medical attention is not guaranteed.

On a funnier note, my students asked me if I was a doctor. I, of course, quickly said no! They then responded with the fact that I should be a doctor. I told them that I don't know that I could ever be a medical doctor and they said, "no you will become a medical doctor!" I am glad they can predict my future!

I am so impressed with each and everyone of my students. I encourage them to talk to me and anyone who speaks English and challenge their abilities. They are all better than they think!





This is a shirt I bought from one of my students, raising money for himself to go to college in Haiti. He is a very bright student with impressive English skills! The shirt says "We can help Haiti" in Creole. I am so impressed with this, that I bought two shirts from him.

Teaching has been such a pleasure and to have students who are so willing and eager to learn anything and everything they can about the world. I believe that I have some of the best students in Haiti!

3 comments:

  1. So impressed with what you're doing! Maybe when you come back you can give me teaching tips. You're a pro at whatever you do. How's the goat doggie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe you have Wi-Fi But I am so glad you do so that I can see your photos and read your blog. Yes we are lucky. Love to you miss you Goo Goo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it finally the publish post worked

    ReplyDelete