Saturday, July 6, 2013

First Day in Haiti!


Wow! Where do I even begin!?! It has already been quite the experience!

The Haitian Airport was hectic, but I was able to find my sponsors out in the parking lot! It was a little crazy. Traffic was out of this world. I thought Philly's traffic was bad... NOPE! WRONG! Honking, people walking in the streets little mopeds flying around like crazy! It was very interesting!

Once we got to HAC (Haitian American Caucus) site, I was given a tour of the place, which is very small, but cozy. There were even baby ducks and puppy's! Lots and lots of goats here too! And it a really common meal! Welp... when in Rome, do as the Romans do right??? (Mom??;) Needless to say, I am not sure what I had for lunch- a sandwich with meat (mysterious?) with cheese and tomatoes and onions... oh and ants, but I fought those off OK!

All in all it has been a very adventurous first day! I am going to leading my own English course here at the school. I will be grading, assigning homework, and leading class discussion and lessons (Andrea! I need your help!!!!) I am up for the challenge but it will be very interesting because I don't know that I would ever be a hard grader for assignments! I have been a student for too long and I understand! We will see how that goes! I also am going to be a student myself here and learning Creole along the way with a tutor, which is of course so exciting!

Dinner was actually amazing! Beans and rice! My treat!!! And of course a few other Haitian food items that I cannot remember! But I think I made my friend while I am here....


Her name is Baby and she is adorable! And too skinny so I have been sneaking her some meat!

Let the adventures begin!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG Chels! PLEASE continue feeding that dog "baby"

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so little!!!! She has been following me around and wants me to pet her! Haitians do not like dogs at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I am so happy you decided to blog your experience, so I can live vicariously through you! Stay safe, and savor every moment. xo from NJ -Michelle T

    ReplyDelete